There are so many articles on the internet that discuss the major challenges that face small businesses. Many list challenges that new business owners or owners of current small businesses have difficulty impacting, such as having access to enough money or a line of credit, having enough time to work both on the business as well as in the business, changes to the laws involving payroll or taxes, the need for innovation or even resulting information overload from dealing from any or all of those things.
Two challenges that our clients at The Incandescent Group most often face have to do with lacking expert input and/or trying to do it all themselves. Often, small business owners will defend their lack of expert assistance by saying that they cannot afford to hire experts for a specific function, or by stating that they will hire a subject matter expert ‘later,’ when they can afford to do so. The problem with that approach is simply this: without subject matter experience, a business can often face issues or stumbling blocks that keep them from thriving or even simply staying alive in the first place.
So the foundational question is this: can you really afford to not hire the expertise you need to grow your business?
In terms of marketing, there are some mistakes we often see that can undermine the success of a business until they are addressed or corrected. They include the following:
- Failing to create and maintain a clear and consistent brand promise, which combines your unique selling proposition with a consistent customer experience. Unlike a tagline, a brand promise is the most foundational part of your business and is the unifying thread that sews together a well-organized and actionable marketing program.
- Skipping over the important step of having a logo professionally designed that easily and well articulates that brand promise.
- Forgetting to build a memorable customer experience into every interaction with your business or brand.
- Believing that you will just add social media to your marketing mix ‘when you have time.’
- Failing to create a unique and memorable look-and-feel for your brand that carries through all your advertising, business cards, website, social media, brochures or menus and other places where your marketing message is seen.
- Not creating a blended marketing mix that includes advertising and marketing across multiple channels.
- Ignoring the need to put as much time and effort into retaining current customers as in obtaining new ones.
As a small business owner, you are already likely wearing a number of hats as you build and develop your offering. No matter how well-intended you are, it is both normal and even expected that key elements of your business, and most often marketing, will suffer from either the neglect or a lack of expertise that can put a dent in both your short- and long-term growth.
At The Incandescent Group, we will consult with you to create actionable, goal-oriented strategies to address all of these common yet vitally important keys to marketing which undermine the most otherwise well-planned businesses of all sizes, from the very smallest to the largest. Using whatever budget you designate, we can create and implement a strategy that works well for you, helping you across pitfalls that could undermine your success and creating a strong foundation to help you meet and even exceed your goals.
Give us a call today at 719.287-6638 or email us at email@example.com and set up an appointment for a complimentary 30-minute marketing review and learn how The Incandescent Group can help you down your road to greatness.